Tuesday 4 September 2012

Day 5: Pin badge craze

The IPC info area continues to be my home and I am loving every minute of this...

One of the funniest elements of my role to date is handing out IPC pin badges to athletes/coaches and games makers on the blag!

There is a massive craze within the village and for the games itself to collect memorabilia. This comes in the form of cute little pin badges that get attached to people's accreditation and the games makers bags.

My Olympic GM friend Ben warned me about this madness and he wasn't wrong.... people have 100s!!! There are even people setting up miniature shops around the venues swapping pin badges. This is clearly a tradition that dates back to previous Games as I can see some from Beijing and Athens in the IPC cabinet.

So as I hand out IPC badges, most often they get returned by a nations badge. I display it for the day, then hide them all at home to start again. Too many athletes want to swap my most prized possessions so best to go to work with none on to save any disappointment!

I will continue to grow my collection, but not using some of the blunt tactics that other GMs are using... tut tut to you all.

Shift finished at 8:30pm... no point in heading home, so headed to the Basketball arena for some wheelchair basketball fun. The GMs were dancing away at every single break song... hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment