Monday 10 September 2012

Day 9: Is it really all over??

Still pumped from the closing ceremony, I made my way to Stratford one last time...

The station was a ghost town, really eerie after a month of hustle and bustle. Even the athletes village was a shadow of it's former glory... the US team had left at 4am and most of South America were in the skies making their way home.

It was time to pack away the IPC memorabilia. Finally I had a chance to hold Beijing and Sydney medals that I had been admiring for weeks... we were also joined by two double gold medallists from the Irish team as they completed their last blogs for Samsung. Both extremely down to earth and shared their accounts with me about winning.

Two Irish double gold winners
I was fortunate to have seen Jason Smyth's gold on Friday evening and I replayed my anthem video of him to him, which he appreciated.


And then that was it... time to leave it all behind and return to work. Said my goodbyes to the IPC team and begrudgingly checked out. Shame to have missed the parade, but hardly able to complain with what I had been allowed to witness.

As my mum said... getting back to reality will be rather tricky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment