Wednesday 29 August 2012

Day 1: IPC meeting and greeting

After two long years, I finally got to start being a games maker. The journey itself was epic.. 20min drive to Ealing Broadway from work at Gerrards Cross, then 17 stops to St Paul's to log in at The Grange Hotel.

I knew the hotel was only a temporary location and that was confirmed upon arrival. I was off to the Athletes Village! But first, to update my accreditation. That took an hour as clients quite rightly got preferential treatment. I was then whisked away on the Olympic Lane road network in a posh BMW...

Even being in an official car still didn't mean we could jump through security. The car was thoroughly checked before finally getting to the village entrance. More security though as my bag was checked in an airport style scenario.

IN!

The IPC information area is immediately to the left in amongst a plaza of a post office, shops, ticket office, salon and Samsung shop... all for the benefit of athletes, coaches and distinguised guests. I met my boss Malini (Secretary General for the Asian Paralympic Committee) and Bettina Kaus (official IPC staff member in Bonn, Germany). Both were very nice and they gave me the orientation tour.

Basically the info area has lots of leaflets, the history of the games and Paralympic movement (in DVD format), a statue of Dr Guttman who started it all back in 1948, past medals and the torch. Pretty cool area! My role was to meet and greet whoever walked in and ensure I dealt with all issues they may have.


The torch

The rest of the shift was a pleasure to be involved with. Met so many different people from all over the world with varying impairments. I would suggest I am very lucky to have been located in such a position.

Networking too... right up my street!

Particular hightlights were seeing Team GB being welcomed to the village... the national anthem and raising of the flag. Saw the legend that is Tani Grey-Thompson too.


Tani

No comments:

Post a Comment